Don't be a Victim!
Know the ABC’s of Job Searching
As a job seeker, your first responsibility to yourself is to verify the employer. As on all other job boards, scammers pose as legitimate employers with legitimate jobs. To help us keep DustyWorks safe for all, please let us know when you find a questionable employer or if we can help you verify.
Below are the ABC’s for avoiding fraudulent job postings.
- Always verify by contacting the actual business that supposedly posted the job, and so through the Better Business Bureau.
- Be suspicious when the job posting does not have an application or interview process, is described as “running errands,” or asks you to purchase gift cards.
- Contact the TAMIU Office of Career Services with the Job Vacancy Number so that we can delete the posting and work to block the specific IP address.
If you have previously responded to such a suspicious communication, please notify OIT immediately by emailing email@example.com, and then file a complaint with the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center at https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx.
For more tips on how not to be a victim of identity theft and internet fraud, see links below.
· Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI): FBI Internet Crime Prevention Tips
· Federal Trade Commission Consumer Information: “Ten Things You Can Do to Avoid Fraud”
Thank you for your help in keeping DustyWorks safe for everyone.